Courtney Reigel is an Associate at Gavin Law Offices with an intellectual property law practice focused on trademark, copyright, domain disputes, and contract and licensing review. She also works on data privacy law matters, including tracking data privacy and cybersecurity legislation, providing updates and summaries regarding key provisions to colleagues and clients, and assisting clients with meeting compliance obligations. Her trademark prosecution responsibilities include trademark preclearance, advising on brand optimization strategies, preparing trademark applications, and responding to Office Actions when necessary. Courtney especially enjoys managing clients’ foreign trademark portfolios.
Courtney graduated from the University of Richmond School of Law, where she concentrated on Intellectual Property law as well as Environmental Law and earned University of Richmond’s Intellectual Property Certificate. While in law school, she served on the editorial board of the Richmond Public Interest Law Review and participated in two in-house counsel clinical placement programs.
Prior to law school, Courtney graduated cum laude from the University of Alabama with a Bachelor of Arts in Public Relations. She was a member of the University of Alabama’s Honors College and club soccer team and studied abroad twice during her undergraduate studies – English Literature at the University of Oxford and International Business at the Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona. In her spare time, Courtney can be found traveling, walking/hiking with her dog, or visiting nearby wineries. She is also currently preparing to take the CIPP/US exam.
- University of Richmond School of Law, Juris Doctor, 2016, Intellectual Property Certificate
- University of Alabama, cum laude, Bachelor of Arts in Public Relations, 2013
- Virginia State Bar
- Greater Richmond Intellectual Property Law Association
- Richmond Bar Association
Publications & Involvement:
- Presenter: Open Source Software, January 2019, Greater Richmond Intellectual Property Law Association
- Virginia Equality Bar Association – Name & Gender Marker Legal Clinic, 2020
- Co-authored: Protecting Your Business’s Various Assets, Domain Names Disputes and Delays at WIPO, Social Media and Your Intellectual Property, Protect Your Brew: National Beer Day and IP
- Authored: Colorado Privacy Act signed into law: Are more state data privacy laws on the horizon?, Virginia Becomes 2nd State to Pass Comprehensive Data Privacy Law, S. Data Privacy Law – 2020 Update, Recording Trademark Registrations with U.S. Customs