The United States Trademark Office recently announced that it will increase a number of its filing fees on January 2, 2021. The increases apply to a wide variety of filings, including the fees for initial trademark applications. We have included the most noteworthy increases below:
- TEAS Standard Trademark Application: $350 per class
Up from $275 per class
- TEAS Plus Trademark Application (pre-approved goods and services): $250 per class
Up from $225 per class
- Section 8 (filed with both 8 & 15 and Renewal filings): $225 per class
Up from $125 per class
- Petition to cancel/Notice of opposition filed through ESTTA: $600 per class
Up from $400 per class
- Initial 90-day extension requests for filing a notice of opposition, or second 60-day extension requests for filing a notice of opposition, filed through ESTTA: $200 per application
Up from $100 per application
- Petition to the Director filed through TEAS: $250
Up from $100
For the full list of fee increases, please visit: https://www.uspto.gov/trademark/laws-regulations/updated-trademark-ttab-fees-processes.
The U.S. Trademark Office will also implement a new fee for deleting goods, services, and/or classes from a registration after submitting a Section 8 declaration, but before the declaration is accepted, at a rate of $250 per class.
In light of the increased filing costs, Gavin Law Offices will work with clients who wish to take advantage of the lower filing fees to complete filings before the end of the year. If you are considering a new trademark application or have maintenance filings due in the next year, we can help you complete such filings before January 2, 2021. Please reach out as early as possible to ensure that we have enough time to get preclearance and/or the necessary documentation completed before the increase date.
- – Rina Van Orden, Esq.