As the year comes to a close, our team has Christmas on the mind. The holidays feel like an extra important time to show appreciation for one another and have some fun, especially considering the unforeseen circumstances of this year. Although we can’t be together like usual, we’ve still found ways to connect over our favorite aspects of the most wonderful time of the year.
For our first Christmas themed virtual meeting, we decorated glass ornaments with metallic sharpies. One of the common phrases that we chose to adorn them was “Goodbye 2020.” We recently competed in a game of Christmas trivia where Kat Gavin took the honor and bragging rights of most correct answers. Questions included fun facts from popular movies as well as the origins of our modern-day traditions. To wrap up – pun intended – we will celebrate with a virtual white elephant gift exchange, thanks to the help of one of Santa’s elves. New Year’s happy hour will help us close out 2020 and welcome in a new chapter. What about you? We’d love to hear about any of your creative holiday festivities!
In addition to spending time remotely to help celebrate, we also found out our team’s favorite aspects of Christmas! There are some similarities and some surprising some outliers.
- Movie: Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer or It’s a Wonderful Life
- Song: The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole
- Dish: Southern Grits Casserole and Monkey Bread
- Treat/Dessert: Peppermint Bark and Hot Cocoa
- Tradition/Activity: Decorating the Tree
- Movie: Christmas Vacation
- Song: Santa’s Coming in a Whrily Bird by Gene Autry
- Dish: My Mom’s Shrimp and Grits
- Treat/Dessert: Homemade Christmas Cookies
- Tradition/Activity: Putting up the tree with my kids
- Movie: Titanic
- Song: Somewhere Over the Rainbow
- Dish: Pasta
- Treat/Dessert: Fruit Cake
- Tradition/Activity: Everything Christmas!
Rina Van Orden:
- Movie: Christmas Vacation- SQUIRREL!
- Song: It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year by Andy Williams
- Dish: Giada’s Green Beans (https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/sauteed-green-beans-with-tomatoes-and-basil-served-with-parmesan-crisps-recipe-2203630)
- Treat/Dessert: Homemade Apple Crisp
- Tradition/Activity: Stocking Stuffers
- Movie: Elf and Home Alone
- Song: The Christmas Song
- Dish: Ham
- Treat/Dessert: Christmas cookies
- Tradition/activity: Christmas movies/decorating
Lastly, the most contentious of Christmas opinion: Does the GLO team consider Die Hard a Christmas Movie? The majority voted: No, Die Hard is not a Christmas movie. What do you think?
– Lily Taggart